Instagram

Friday, November 26, 2010

4th Grade Paper Pollock Weaving




4th Grade recently finished a study of abstract expressionist artist Jackson Pollock.  Each student made two paintings in the splatter style of Pollock.  One used all warm colors and the other used all cool colors.  This is one of the most nerve-racking projects that I do.  You can only imagine having 24 4th graders splattering paint for two consecutive class meetings.  I like to try to have each class compete to see which out of my four groups can be the least messy.  Yeah, I like to keep my room clean.  After the paintings are dry, they are cut in a specific way to allow strips from one painting to be woven into the other painting.  This is an extremely successful project and the kids love it.  

1 comment:

Mrs. Roeder said...

I have enjoyed reading your art posts. Thank you so much for sharing. Our district pulled art and music over 5 years ago. I am a graphic designer and love all things art. So for the past 4 years I have been volunteering with my sons grade level classrooms to teach fine arts. We discuss and learn new artist and then work on projects based off of that artist, style and medium.

The students have a students choice at the end of every year and for the past two years they have chosen our Jackson Pollock project. We use acrylic art boards tons of paint and take to the outdoors. Things get extremely messy but very fun. We have thrown tons of objects into the painting just like Pollock. The students empty their pockets, toss some grass and we have even used salt to had shine and texture.

Your recycled bottle cap art project has inspired me to introduce this to my students this year. We have begun our year long recycle project and are learning about Michelle Stitzlein. We are recreating Van Gogh's Starry Night in bottle caps. Thank you for all of your posts. You are a fantastic art instructor and the kids and parents are lucky to have you!